Re: [stretch] mc-4.8.18 broken, but fixed mc-4.8.19 released 5 March

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 05:24:53PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Andrey Rahmatullin composed on 2017-04-01 01:49 (UTC+0500):
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 04:30:28PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> > > Andrey Rahmatullin composed on 2017-03-24 21:18 (UTC+0500):
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=858808

(You got the version number wrong; I fixed that for you)

> > As the bug severity is normal this won't be included in stretch, see
> > https://release.debian.org/stretch/freeze_policy.html
> > If you say it's broken maybe you've chosen a wrong severity?
>
> The right severity doesn't exist: nuisance; for 5 years, because Stretch
> will be LTS. MC doesn't have an alpha, beta, final release program, so its
> bug fixes always have to wait for another release unless someone backports.

Yes, but that's obviously not how Debian works. If you want to get this
fix into Stretch, you have to convince the release managers and/or the
Debian maintainer for mc that the bug is problematic enough that either
backporting the fix for that bug, or updating the package to the new
version, is worth it in spite of our release policy.

Whether that is the case for this particular bug isn't entirely clear.
This is a pretty annoying issue; but from reading the bug report that
you filed upstream, it doesn't feel like it's something that occurs in
the default configuration. It requires a judgement call, which is for
the maintainer and/or the release managers to make.

Regards,

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,