Re: Post-stretch mass bug filing: build-depending on automake1.11

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 05:36:30PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Most packages in Debian that run autoreconf currently build-depend
> directly or indirectly on automake (version 1.14.1 in jessie, released
> 2013; version 1.15 in stretch/sid, released in 2015). However, 58
> packages in sid still build with automake1.11, released in 2009. This
> doesn't seem desirable for buster.
>
> I am *not* planning to report these bugs as RC, unless the release team
> or the automake1.11 maintainer want to remove automake1.11 from
> buster entirely (if so, please let me know).
>
> Most of the packages that I've glanced at so far seem to have moved
> from an ancient version (often automake1.4 or automake1.9) to 1.11.

The relevant question is whether there is a non-zero amount of packages
where a 1.11 -> 1.15 switch would be hard.

One important package that is hard to convert to 1.15 could be enough to
keep automake1.11 even in buster (we have 5 different autoconf versions
in stretch...).

> A couple of these packages build-depend on
> automake (>= 1.11) | automake1.11, but to be honest they'd probably be
> better off with just automake (>= 1.11) anyway, so I haven't filtered
> those out.

What you describe is somewhere between "minor" and not worth reporting.

But several packages have
  automake1.11 | automake (>= 1:1.11)

Ouch.

> Regards,