Re: Depends/Recommends from libraries

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 10:19 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I think this would be a great way of introducing spurious bugs in our
> distribution from people who don't happen to read the README file and
> miss
> dependencies they actually need because they're used to Debian
> properly
> picking up shared library dependencies and to the dependencies of any
> given package being fully self-contained.  Both of which, I should
> add,
> are major *features* of our distribution that many of us have worked
> very
> hard to achieve.  I'm opposed.

Can we just clarify - in the setup that Ian proposed, a "normal" user
would have experience no different to now (except for less bloat);
package maintainers and those using -dev libs are the ones who would
need to read those docs. Package maintainers in order to ensure they
set the correct deps on their packages, and -dev package users to
ensure they are aware of which features of a library need extra
packages installed in order to function.

Cheers,

Nick
--
Nick Phillips / nick.phillips@otago.ac.nz / 03 479 4195
# These statements are mine, not those of the University of Otago