Re: Depends/Recommends from libraries

Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (2017-03-09 04:24:09)

>> In general, I don't want to see us place too many restrictions on
>> Recommends.  If you don't want additional helpful programs, disable
>> installing Recommends by default.  I think it's very odd to worry
>> about bloat while simultaneously installing Recommends by default;
>> those aren't really consistent things to do.

> I strongly disagree: We _can_ improve on the default behaviour of our
> package handling - we need not give up and leave it to power users able
> to handle arguably broken systems.

Well, I strongly disagree with you.  I think this would take things in the
wrong direction; I like that software is fully useful when Recommends are
enabled at the cost of some bloat.

If you don't want possibly unused software installed, we have a supported
mechanism for that: disable automatic installation of Recommends.

That said, it's certainly still fine to question individual choices, and
to request a downgrade to Suggests if the provided benefit is marginal.