Re: Non-free RFCs in stretch

On 03/04/2017 10:13 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I have searched for non-free licensed IETF RFCs in the archive and found
> the files below in the stretch suite.  Compare earlier work here [1].

Instead of trying to get standards documents out of Debian, I'd rather
see effort invested in working on solutions to get Debian able to
include them.

Standards are important to our industry, yet Debian is not able to
include their works because modification is not allowed without going
through the standards body. I don't think that is entirely unacceptable,
although I acknowledge that certain standards bodies can be difficult or
unpleasant to work with.

I'd like to see a compromise in the DFSG like #4 for standards to allow
their inclusion in Debian when their license at least allows
modification when changing the name or namespace for schemas and the like.

With a DFSG compromise for standards we have better position to
negotiate with the standards bodies to use compatible terms for their
standards works. Instead of our current position that their works are
not acceptable for Debian.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--