Re: sane chromium default flags - include --enable-remote-extensions

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:

> I can see that the behaviour you describe would be very annoying.
When updating extensions is disabled, it is a "good" thing that you cannot
install them and use installed ones.

It's certainly *not* good. It may be "safe", but is also dissatisfying to many users because it disables functionality, which causes a lot of immediate frustration.

The previous behavior of allowing users to download, but not update extensions, is putting users at risk if the extension needs updating for security reasons, or at best causes frustration for not getting functionality updates.

In an enterprise setup, where the system administrator chooses to limit his users ability to what extensions can be installed, disabling external extension might make a lot of sense. Arguably, the majority of our users do not fall in this category.

Is it really worth the trouble of trying to "protect" users from privacy issues?

Maybe the Debian chromium package can be enhanced to target the typical (i.e., the majority of our) users first, and offer configuration settings in /etc that allow non-typical users to adjust to their specific requirements?

Best,
Reinhard