Re: github and its workflows (was Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 09:51:51AM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Firstly, it is not clear to me how the barrier to getting involved with
> more substantial bugs is affected by the fact that I can trivially
> submit typo fixes.  What did you have in mind?

How big was your first ever contribution to Free Software?

What did that do for your state of mind?

Would it have happened earlier if your first ever contribution was
easier to make?

If the answer to these questions is "small", "improved it", and "yes",
then you see why GitHub making small changes trivial to make is a good
thing.

> Secondly, I suspect that the feeling of being accepted might be
> illusory.  Submitting typo fixes that don't require any review does not
> help build any relationships.

True, but that's not necessarily required.

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,