Re: Git hosting for code that provides Debian services

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 05:42:36PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2017, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Right, so the answer is that Gitlab is still an "open core" project. I
> > therefore repeat that I find it sad that it's being pushed as a
> > service for Debian to use.

> > I personally don't find "open core" projects to be fully free
> > software, even if they follow current DFSG, OSI, and FSF criteria. I
> > may be in a minority with that view, of course.

> I am not sure what you mean with "debian", but we (git.d.o) doesn't plan to
> use gitlab (for exact that reasoning).

This position means that people will choose to use a completly non-free
service rather than the service debian provides.

OTOH I think the problem is not that "we don't have github workflow"
but "every maintainer invents their own workflow". We have very
strict policy on what goes into the binary packages. Meanwhile
there is no effective policy how the source should be structured
in git. We need to question if not having package sources in git is
still useful option  - or even if source package counts a preferred
form for modification. At least "apt-get source" tells me every how
I should probably use git instead...

Riku