Re: Auto reject if autopkgtest of reverse dependencies fail or cause FTBFS

Hello Steve,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:15:15AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> If the failure of the test is not critical, then it should not be used
> as a gate for CI.  Which means you, as the package maintainer who
> knows that this test failure is not critical, should fix your
> autopkgtest to not fail when the non-critical test case fails.

If we make it so that the only way to mark a test failure as
non-critical is to hack the test suite to exit zero anyway, we would
make it much less convenient to run non-critical tests on
ci.debian.net.  Maintainers could no longer look for 'fail' to see
whether their non-critical tests have failed: they would have to open up
the test output.

I agree with the principle that test failures should be RC by default.
I think we need an additional field in d/tests/control to mark
individual tests as non-critical (this wouldn't really help Ole's 9000
tests package though).

--
Sean Whitton