Re: Auto reject if autopkgtest of reverse dependencies fail or cause FTBFS

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Ole Streicher writes ("Re: Auto reject if autopkgtest of reverse
> dependencies fail or cause FTBFS"):
>> I don't see the need to keep things in sync: If a new failure is
>> detected, it creates an RC bug against the migration candidate, with an
>> "affects" to the package that failed the test.
>
> I prefer my other suggestion, that humans should write bugs if
> necessary to unblock migration.  Because:
>
>  * It eliminates a timing problem, where the testing migration
>    infrastructure[1] needs to somehow decide whether the test have
                   ^^^ reference/footnote not found
>    been run.  (This is needed because in the future we may want to
>    accelerate migration, perhaps dramatically when there are lots of
>    tests; and then, the testing queue may be longer than the minimum
>    migration delay.)

I would not see this a big problem: the bug can also be filed against a
migrated package. As with any other bug. Also humans sometimes fail to
write bug reports during the sid quarantine, resulting in
autoremovals. I see no difference here.

>  * See my other mail about the problems I anticipate with
>    automatically opened bug reports.

Just copying from your other mail:
> The difficulty with automated bug reports is this: how do you tell
> whether something is the same bug or not ?
>
> If you're not careful, a test which fails 50% of the time will result
> in an endless stream of new bugs from the CI system which then get
> auto-closed...

Just allow only one bug report per version pair, report only changes,
and don't report is another bug for the package pair is still
open. Either have a local database with the required information, of
store this as metadata in the bug reports. and query the BTS before
sending.

Basically the same procedure as one would do manually.

> (If there are bugs, we want them to auto-close because no matter how
> hard we try, test failures due to "weather" will always occur some of
> the time.  Closing such bugs by hand would be annoying.)

I just had a lengthy (and unresolved) discussion with Santiago Vila
about weather dependent built time failures https://bugs.debian.org/848859
While I disagree that those are RC, IMO occasional failures are useful
to report to the maintainer, without autoclosing.

>> > Than maybe change the wording: not-blocking, for-info, too-sensitive,
>> > ignore or ....
>>
>> The problem is that a test suite is not that homogenious, and often one
>> doesn't knows that ahead. For example, the summary of one of my packages
>> (python-astropy) has almost 9000 individual tests. Some of them are
>> critical and influence the behaviour of the whole package, but others
>> are for a small subsystem an/or a very special case. I have no
>> documentation of the importance of each individual test; this I decide
>> on when I see a failure (in cooperation with upstream). But more: these
>> 9000 tests are combined into *one* autopkgtest result. What should I put
>> there?
>
> You should help enhance autopkgtest so that a single test script can
> report results of multiple test.  This will involve some new protocol
> for those test scripts.

Sorry, but I can't evaluate all 9000 tests and categorize them which are
RC and which are not -- this will not work. It is also not realistic to
force upstream to do so. The only thing I can do is reactively tag a
certain failure being RC or not.

Often the test infrastructure even doesn't have a way to mark a test as
xfail (like cmake), and upstream even can't definitely say which tests
are xfailing, so that I already have enough to do to keep the tests in a
good shape.

Best regards

Ole