Re: Fwd: Report: Debian Packaging Workshop at COEP

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:57:31AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> [...]

Nice to see that the introduction includes Debian mailing lists.
Communicating with others of the "tribe" is essential for the "tribe".

That we haven't yet seen the students on this ML, d-devel@l.d.o.
reminds me that I took me a long time before subscribing here.
(And it is unlikely that I will soon join the javascript packaging ML)

So it will be a surprise when I meet a member of the class of 2017.
I'm looking forward to it.

> As a learning exercise the students did packaging of Nodejs
> packages  deep-eql, pretty-hrline and prase-glob which were
> already packaged.
>
> After that the students voluntarily took up the packaging of different
> nodejs related packages. A total of 32 packages were packaged by
> students.  As on Sunday, 8th Jan 2017, 12 packages were actually
> uploaded to the NEW queue of Debian system.
>
> Some of the students have expressed their interests in packaging key and
> important  software like gitlab, diaspora and GNUkhata in future. Some
> have expressed their desire to continue packaging the nodejs packages.

Nice, very nice.

> The list of packages done during the workshop:
> *Package* : *Packager Name*
> Is-generator-fn : Aarti Kashyap
> node-uglifycss : Abhijit A.M.
> md5-o-matic : Abhishek Kuvalekar
> node-plur : Abhishek Lolage
> asynckit : Aditya Neralkar
> node-console-control-strings : Ajinkya Chavan
> node-hoek : Akash Sarda
> Node-pkgconf : Akshay Kemekar
> node-json-schema : Amarpreet Arora
> common-path-prefix : Ameya Apte
> node-is-ob : Gaurav Juvekar
> node-buf-compare : Nikhil Gawande
> node-single-line-log-1.1.2 : Nupur Malpani
> node-cli-boxes : Pradnya Hulle
> clean-yaml-object : Prathamesh Mane
> node-arrify : Ravi Purne
> imurmurhash : Roshan

I did see more then one ITP from Roshan

> stringstream : Rushikesh Bhadane
> node-assert-plus : Saurabh Agrawal
> is-retry-allowed : Saurabh Agrawal
> node-fn-name : Shirish Togarla
> node-ci-info : Siddhesh Rane
> node-call-signature : Sudhanshu Allurwar
> node-binary-extensions : Sumedh Pendurkar
> node-aproba-1.0.4 : Tushar Agey
> node-xdg-basedir : Vinay Desai
> Ansi-align : Yashashree Kolhe
> tweetnacl : Yashashree Kolhe
> has-unicode : Yogiraj Kulkarni
> node-caller : Yogiraj Kulkarni
> node-require-inject : Yogiraj Kulkarni
>
> The workshop is documented on the Loomio (www.loomio.org) page at [1]
> and [2] and also on COEP Moodle [3], and being updated on COEP wiki also
> [4]. Photos are available on Loomio page [2].
>
> Regards,
> Abhijit A M
> abhijit13@disroot.org
>
> [0] http://www.coep.org.in
> [1] https://www.loomio.org/d/LTpSdMuX/debian-packaging-pre-requisites

Which starts with
  On previous packaging workshops, we had to spent a lot of time
  troubleshooting issues when people used older versions of Ubuntu which
  had older version of dh-make, gem2deb, npm2deb etc. So we thought of
  clearly mentioning the pre requisites so we can use the available time
  more efficiently.
That is soo familiar,
thanks for the text after
  You MUST have a debian unstable system (physical, virtual machine or a container)

> [2] https://www.loomio.org/d/grVdcCx8/debian-packaging-workshop-at-coep-jan-2017
> [3] http://moodle.coep.org.in/moodle/course/view.php?id=428#section-0
> [4] http://foss.coep.org.in/coepwiki/index.php/Debian_Packaging_workshop_2nd_Jan_to_8th_Jan_2017
> [5] http://co.fsug.in

Nice achievement.
Respect.

It is up to us, the Debian community, to accept new members, to blend them in.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven