Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 09:01:51PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:30:26AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>>> Ifconfig has been deprecated; you should probably use "ip a show
>>> dev lo" instad of the shorter and more convenient "ifconfig lo"
>>
>> ... and often wrong
>
> The BSD ifconfig can do this with ease, and since ages, too. Why is
> the Linux ifconfig _so_ different? Forking for the sake of it?

Is there any relationship between current ifconfig on Linux and the
BSDs, other than the name? I don't think so. The BSDs have continued
to develop ifconfig, adding many features and options.

> Eg adding an IPv6 address:
> # ifconfig em0 inet6 address alias
>
> and removing it:
> # ifconfig em0 inet6 address -alias

On Linux, you can do the same with ipv6

ifconfig eth0 inet6 add ipv6_address

but for ipv4 you have to label the NIC as an alias

ifconfig eth0:0 ipv4_address

You can use

ip a sh lo (if you have bash-completion installed, "a<tab>" will
complete to "addr" and "sh<tab>" will complete to "show")

instead of "ip a show dev lo" above (still longer than "ifc<tab> though).