Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 10:28:10PM +0100, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2017-01-03 16:58:21 [+0000], Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Looked at another way, it is trying to be a version control system,
> > layered on top of the Debian archive.  But it is only about a quarter
> > of a VCS.  There are no formal interfaces to do proper VCS operations.
> > If there is a formal interface, it is quilt(1) (which is itself very
> > poor.  NB that is not quilt's fault: quilt inevitably has a hard job
> > because can't make enough assumptions).
>
> there quilt push, pop and header which seems enough.

quilt is not a hard dependency of dpkg-dev, but the abstraction is quite leaky
without it: if you try to build a 3.0 (quilt) package without having quilt,
dpkg-buildpackage will apply the patches fine, but if something breaks and
you have a half-built tree, things are pretty messy and I often rely on rm -rf
.pc and git reset (when I have the advantage of working in a git repository)
to get back to a buildable source.

I'd much prefer if it the state of a build tree after 'dpkg-buildpackage'
could be wound back without relying on external (or non-depended) tools, it
would help me feel that the tool was well rounded and internally consistent.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.