Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 02:50:50PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Recently the net-tools maintainer has forked the abandoned net-tools
> code base and started developing it again, after 15 years of stasis.
> Can we stop shipping two network configuration CLI tools in the default
> install?

The UI for ip(8) is absolutely appalling. I'd like Debian to continue to carry
net-tools in parallel to iproute2 until such time as a third tool (with a
decent UI) comes along and obsoletes iproute2.

> [net-tools] should not have important priority, for a start.

I have no problem with the priority dropping to optional and it not being part
of the default install. I wouldn't want to see it dropped from the archive.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.