Re: HEADSUP: mails sent to nnn@bugs.debian.org are NOT sent to the submitter

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 08:00:18AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > When I decided that debbugs should work like this:
>
> I think this was the right decision and still is, with this additional reason:
>
> Folks are much busier these days and every extra unnecessary email
> takes extra time and brain space that could be spent on other tasks
> and thoughts.

Every other bug tracker, including all new ones like github, by default
sends emails to submitter (and everyone who ever touched the bug). Debian
is the odd one out. Filtering mails at the recieving side is easy.

> >  * Make all submitters of new bugs be subscribed by default.
>
> I definitely do not want this myself and I don't think it is a good
> idea, for the reasons you mentioned and more importantly for the one I
> mentioned. If it changes, I would want a way to disable subscription
> for all bugs I submit. Probably a good idea to have a Subscribe: yes
> option at submit@ time too.

I understand your position, but my gut feeling is vas majority of users
filing bugs expect to be kept upto date on how the fixing proceeds. So the
subscibe by default and a "Subscribe: no" pseudoheader is better.

Riku