Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> We can do poor-mans partial arch by just being fairly agressive about
> disabling armel for packages that are broken or not suitable. Not very
> clever or efficient, but it is easy to do and requires no infra or
> tooling changes at all. So long as someone is volunteering for that
> (easy but unexciting) work that could work.

If I understand correctly, you mean for those packages broke on armel
(or to be broken in the future), we can modify debian/control as following:

  Architecture: any
  Architecture: any [!armel]

I'm not sure whether statement above works or not, because debian
policy didn't mention this [0][1].
It only mentioned statement like "any" or "linux-any".

If we cannot use "any [!armel]", we have to list all the ARCHes
without armel, so it's horrible like:
  Architecture: alpha, amd64, arm64, armhf, hppa, i386, m68k, mips,
mips64, mips64el, mipsel, mipsn32, mipsn32el, or1k, powerpc,
powerpcspe, ppc64, ppc64el, s390, s390x, sh4, sparc, sparc64, tilegx,
x32

And we need to write a few ARCHes that may be supported later [2]:
mipsr6 mipsr6el mipsn32r6 mipsn32r6el mips64r6 mips64r6el

Is there any way to simplify?

[0] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Architecture
[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s-arch-spec
[2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/config/defines