Re: What happened to the idea of using migrations and coordinated uploads when updating packages that has many reverse dependencies?

On തിങ്കള്‍ 12 ഡിസംബര്‍ 2016 10:03 വൈകു, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:38:47PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> 1. When handling fragile languages (javascript, ruby, go and possibly
>> more),
>
> I think that this view of "fragile languages" is very misleading, and
> perhaps a little dangerous. There are no fragile languages, but fragile
> projects. You can write a fragile project in any language you want.

Agreed. I should have used culture instead of languages. Languages with
communities/culture that encourage people to lock to a specific patch
release versions of dependency instead of encouraging backward
compatibility for updates/stable libraries with stable interfaces. Or
dealing with projects that don't follow practices like SemVer.

> Also, that fragility is mostly only perceived on the Debian side,
> because those upstream communities have mechanisms for locking their
> dependencies to specific versions, having multiple versions of the same
> package loaded at the same time, etc. We in Debian *choose* that those
> practices should not be followed, and *decided on our own* to package
> their stuff. It is then on *our burden* to handle the so-called
> fragility.

Yes, that is why I ask for more care when dealing with such language
cultures.