Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On Sat, 2016-12-10 at 09:54 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > Also, dedicated tiny flash partitions for the kernel and initrd.  I
> > wouldn't be surprised to be find that by the time we want to release
> > buster we can't build a useful kernel that fits into the 2 MB partition
> > that most of these devices seem to have.
>
> Is it possible to put a bootloader like u-boot in the flash partitions
> and have it load the Linux kernel and initrd from elsewhere?

It may well be, and that has been proposed before, but someone will
need to do the work to make flash-kernel upgrade (or at least detect
and support upgrades) to this configuration.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Logic doesn't apply to the real world. - Marvin Minsky