Re: armel after Stretch (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 00:53:17 +0000
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> Also, dedicated tiny flash partitions for the kernel and initrd.  I
> wouldn't be surprised to be find that by the time we want to release
> buster we can't build a useful kernel that fits into the 2 MB partition
> that most of these devices seem to have.

Actually those limitations are only for a few old orion5x models.
For Linkstation kirkwood series I maintain for, kernel can be 2.5MB
and initrd can be 8MB.

I'm not sure about the exact limitation size because the vendor doesn't
disclose this specification clearly.
But size listed above should be much easier to achieve for kernel
maintainers.

> As it is, stretch will be supported until 2020, maybe 2022 on armel.
> Is it really worthwhile to add another 2 years to that?

If the effort to maintain the armel is limited under certain level,
and the those hardware are still in good condition, IMHO the longer
the better.

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo