Re: Release impact of introducing a new archive section?

Josh Triplett:
> [Please CC me on replies.]
>
> [...]
>
> Does it seem reasonable to attempt to introduce these new sections
> before the release, so that these pieces of software in stable can
> successfully work with upcoming sections that will appear in
> testing/unstable/backports?
>
> I'd be willing to write appropriate bug reports and patches for the
> various packages listed in the mail above.  I (and ftpmaster) would like
> to get input from the release team if they see negative effects on the
> release from such a change.
>
> - Josh Triplett

Hi Josh,

  In summary: To my knowledge there are no issues, but please patch
  tools before adding the sections.

Longer version: I think we should patch the tools first and /if/ we are
in time before the release, we can add the sections.  To my knowledge,
there are basically no ill effects of tools knowing sections that does
not yet exist.

As the FTP masters can override sections of packages, I see no urgency
for us to create the sections before the (most common) tools are ready
for them.

The updates apply to packages already in testing, so the deadline is
generally Feb 5th for these changes.

Thanks,
~Niels