Re: MIA maintainers and RC-buggy packages

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:14:42PM +0100, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> To add a few criteria, I'd remove a package from sid only if it
> * has been orphaned for a longer time, say: a year
>   So again users of that package had a grace period to ask for work on
>   that package.

Two questions:

1. Whom and how should a user ask?
2. How would a user even notice that a package that is important for
   him has been orphaned?

The majority of Debian users are running stable,
and upgrade to a new stable every 2 years.

Example for the packages we are talking about:

ispell-lt (#704968)
Orphaned for 3.5 years, no open bugs.

This is a package with relatively low popcon that is not being adopted,
both for an obvious reason (Lithuania is a small country).

There are likely *users* for whom this package is important, but the
number of *developers* who did a package upload in 2016[1] and speak
Lithuanian might be zero.

>     Christoph

cu
Adrian

[1] any package, as definition of "active developer"

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed