Re: Debian does not have customers

Ben Finney schreef op 22-09-2016 2:27:
Xen <list@xenhideout.nl> writes:

I would simply suggest that in principle you keep bugs open until it
no longer exists.

One reason bug reports get closed is because the report is far too vague
to even know *whether* it exists, or under what conditions it would be
considered fixed.

That action is IMO much better than leaving a vague report open that
cannot even in principle be said to be resolved.

I think that is a different category than bugs you cannot solve or don't have enough information to deal with. If a report provides so little information that working with it would require disproportional amounts of time, sure, close it.

But I thought we were more talking about the kind of issue that says "We can be pretty sure it exists, and we are happy to know about it, there is just no one right now that can work on it". (Sorry).

Also as said I didn't just mean "keep open" but I meant more like, "shelve the bug, keep it around, but just don't work on it (until someone feels like it, or you have collected more information due to other bug reports etc).

Some customer support systems have the ability to create notes for user accounts. If some user is in violation, or if people complain about some other user, support staff may just keep notes for that offending user, because they cannot act until they have received more complaints about the same user.

So these complaints are not treated individually. They are kept "open" in a way.

You can just shelve a bug because not enough information is available to deal with it now.

These customer support people will tell you "we cannot act on it now, but we have made a notition on it" -- and there is nothing vague or ambiguous about that.

It is respectful in that sense; you get feedback, as to the true state of the "bug" report.

So you could have a shelved state that said "Not enough information to act on it presently".

Or "Too little information to process further at this time."

You could call that a "closed" state but it communicates a whole lot me (and better) than just "closed".