Re: Standards-Version field should be deprecated

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:39:01 AM CEST Russ Allbery wrote:
> If Lintian says that the Standards-Version field is out of date, I then
> open /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz, scroll down
> to the current value of Standards-Version, and then read backwards to the
> top, checking each item against my knowledge of the package to see if
> there's anything I need to update.  Then I update Standards-Version in the
> packaging.

Good point. I'm going to change 'cme fix dpkg' warning message to mention
this. The message will look like:

Warning in 'control source Standards-Version' value '3.9.5': Current standards
version is 3.9.8. Please read https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
upgrading-checklist.html to check what changes need to applied to your package
to upgrade it from standard version 3.9.5 to 3.9.8

Ideas are welcome to improve this message after the generic part, i.e. after
"Warning in 'control source Standards-Version' value '3.9.5':"

All the best
--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/  -o-   irc: dod at irc.debian.org