Re: Priorities overrides? Extra?

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 08:34:18PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> > Note that you mix two completely different questions in your email.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 02:22:54PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/indices/override.stretch.main.gz
> >>
> >> I find there more than 48.000 overrides; which means that almost *all*
> >> packages are overridden.
> >>
> >> What is the reason for that? I would expect that overriding is something
> >> exceptional, but not the common way to set the priority?
> > I guess that's an implementation detail of the archive software. Priority
> > fields in the packages are only informational, that's all.
>
> Question is wich information they cover. For me, "optional" means:
> conflict free by policy.
You are still mixing two completely separate things.

> > One of the other reasons is dh_make(1). It was broken by a stupid (IMO)
> > #373603 in 2006 and fixed back by #706164 in 2013.
>
> Yes; this is the reason why I had it in some of my first packages, from
> where it was copied and pasted to other new packages.
>
> The problem is that I cannot set it back on my own. I have to ask
> ftp-master and put them more load on their shoulders.
Changing overrides is a normal procedure.

> For a field that is -- as you said -- pure informational (and where the
> wrong setting could be mentioned just by filing a bug).
By saying "informational" I meant that the override value is what matters,
not the field in the package.

> > Yet another one is the bad policy wording about "likely to be useful
> > if you already know what they are" (see #660249 about dropping that).
> Sure. The problem arises f.e. with my package: it is really special, and
> you would not like to install it unless you know what it is for.
You should use "optional" for such packages.

> > See also #759260 for discussions about dropping extra completely.
>
> I would not drop it completely, since it provides the useful information
> "may have conflicts with other packages".
I'm not sure who would find this information useful.
Note that according to the bug discussion this distinction was caused only
by a requirement to be able to co-install all optional packages which is
not useful at all.

> My problem here is that, according to the policy, no "extra" programs
> should be installed by the Debian installer
I don't think the policy says or means anything about the Debian
installer.

> -- either since they are really too special, or since they may have
> conflicts. So, to get the Debian Blends into the installer, what should
> I do?
See? That's why your package should be priority: optional.

> I could create bugs for all affected packages (of the blends, and their
> dependencies), which would end up in maybe 1000 bug reports (or commits,
> if they are team maintained). However, at some point I would have to ask
> the ftp-masters to change all these priorities, and I am not sure
> whether they are too happy with it.
You can also behave like many packagers do: don't pretend that optional
and extra priorities are different and that the policy (still) has
different requirements about them. I don't see any downsides with that.

--
WBR, wRAR