Re: Opt out style recommends

Quoting Russ Allbery (2016-04-09 03:20:25)
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:
>> Like:
>> xfce4-power-manager -> upower -> libimobiledevice4 -> usbmuxd
>
>> Is the recommendation from libimobiledevice4 to usbmuxd valid?  Sure
>> it is -- the library is useless without the daemon.
[...]
> So, where this goes wrong is the upower -> libimobiledevice4
> dependency. As you say, the dependency is correct (or at least
> correct-ish): we don't want to dlopen everything and try to push all
> those patches upstream.  But this is the weakest link of this whole
> chain, yet has the strongest dependency.
>
> I think a more correct fix would (unfortunately) involve a new binary
> package field that we don't currently have: Depends-Shallow (for lack
> of a better term) that acts like Depends *except* disables Recommends
> processing for anything below the shallow dependencies in the tree.
> So if everything you're installing only Depends-Shallow on
> libimobiledevice4, you don't get the recommendation; if anything
> straight depends on it, you do.

I disagree that we need a new field: Simply lower to at most suggest the
daemon: It is for the daemon to declare a stronger dependency.

Anyone needing the daemon can install the daemon - you shouldn't expect
libraries to pull in daemons (just as you shouldn't expect documentation
to pull in binaries).

>> And, many maintainers could take this as an attack: "what, my package
>> is useless?!?".  Like, openssh-server -> libwrap0 -> tcpd.  I'd say
>> pretty much anyone today uses other means for limiting access to ssh;
>> tcpd does have near-universal popcon (95.79%!) but protocols listed
>> in its description (telnet ftp rsh rlogin finger) and complete dearth
>> of new bug reports (it received tons in the past) make me think it's
>> not actually used anymore.
>
> I still use tcpd for openssh-server.  (This is not an argument for
> keeping the chain, just a data point.)  tcpd, unlike iptables, can
> whitelist domains.  It's weak security, but it's good for defense in
> depth and making the constant brute force attacks die down a bit.

I agree it is no argument for keeping the chain: Those using tcpd can
install that - or install a metapackage that depends on or recommends
it.

 - Jonas