Re: Debian package on Windows

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>
>> I think your message would be better addressed to the debian-devel mailing
>> list, who I have copied in to this reply so that more Debian Developers are
>> aware of it.  (There's also the Apt developer's mailing list at the
>> harder-to-discover deity@lists.debian.org who I have not copied in, as they are
>> likely all on -devel anyway)
>>
>> Personally (although I am not an Apt developer) I think it sounds like an
>> interesting idea, and there is some precedent as APT was the basis of the
>> "Fink" package management system for Apple Mac OS X.  Not re-inventing the
>> wheel is a very good idea, lots of package management problems have been
>> discovered and solved with APT already (and it's sad to see things like Ruby
>> gems, Go packages etc. re-discover the very same problems over and over again)
>
> Looks like Microsoft went with a Linux syscall emulation layer for the
> Windows kernel:
>
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

Maybe worth mentioning... Some Microsoft tools use NuGet
(https://www.nuget.org/). Visual Studio uses it for its
developer-to-developer gallery of widgets and gadgets.

I don't think Microsoft will ever support a first class package
manager. They are trying to achieve exclusivity and vendor lock-in
through their app store, and a general package manager violates the
corporate goals.

Jeff