Re: Possible MBF: Packages depending on iceweasel but not firefox/firefox-esr

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 05:38:05PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Yes we do, since dpkg 1.18.
>
> > Yet others parts of our infrastructure still need updates to handle then (e.g., britney).
>
> Ah.  So I assume that packages using versioned Provides probably
> shouldn't get uploaded to the archive until that happens?

Not in this case -- you need britney only for testing migration, dose for
archive satisfiability checks.  These are fine as long as "iceweasel" is a
real package, and at present it is.

As for actually installing the packages, both apt and dpkg do support
versioned provides.  Thus, if "firefox" gains such a Provides: (it currently
lacks it), such dependencies will be satisfied.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.