Re: How to deal with "assets" packages shadowing real upstream

Hi Praveen,

Quoting Pirate Praveen (2016-03-07 10:27:31)
> On Saturday 27 February 2016 12:29 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> ¹ bug#809977 requests adding node-handlebars to src:libjs-handlebars
>> (to cover not only browser but also server-side use), but package
>> maintainer chose to instead package libjs-handlebars from a Ruby
>> bundling (re)source (see changelog entry for ruby-handlebars-assets
>> 2:0.20.1-3, written some months after bug#809977).
>>

> I did not see this bug when I updated libjs-handlebars (so it was not
> _instead_ of fixing).
>
> In this particular case, maintaining one single package was considered
> better than maintaining 3 source packages. If I had seen that bug
> before the source packages were combined, the justification of less
> maintenance would not have been there.
>
> Adding more source package adds to the burden of maintenance. IMHO, it
> makes sense to reduce source packages if there is only a ruby package
> using the js package. If more packages needs the js package, then
> maintaining separate source packages is justified.
>
> And the the upload that used ruby-handlebars-assets as source for
> libjs-handlebars was on Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:51:22 +0530 but #809977
> was filed on 5 Jan 2016 01:12:12 UTC. So I don't think it is fair to
> say the choosing to use the rubygem provided copy was instead of
> adding node-handlebars. ("written some months after bug#809977"). No
> malice was intended as is is made out to be.

I do not blame you for malicious intend, and apopogize if my choice of
words made it look that way.

What I do "blame" you for is choosing a pragmatic approach which I
believe we should generally not do in Debian, which is the reason I
raised the question here on -devel - generalized, with your case only as
an example.

Thanks for your clarifications - they seem to confirm that you were,
and still intend to be, pragmatic - e.g. track the real upstream only
when strongly encouraged to do so.

> I just uploaded a separate libjs-handlebars pcakage which provides
> node-handlebars, libjs-handlebars and libjs-handlebars.runtime binary
> packages.

Thanks.

The general concern of mine still stand: I feel that we in Debian should
use alternate source only in special situations, not as a convenience.

 - Jonas