HTTPS in DEP-5

The machine-readable debian/copyright file specification says that the Format field should contain:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

These days www.debian.org supports HTTPS+HSTS (thanks, DSA!). Apparently this prompted some people to replace "http" with "https" in their Format field, contrary to the requirements of the specification.

Worse, some tools (Lintian, mk-origtargz) incorrectly say that the HTTPS URL is the one you should use in the Format field. Also, some tools (dh-make, Config::Model) produce copyright files with the HTTPS URL inside.

Some DEP-5 consumers recognize the HTTPS URL (Lintian, mk-origtargz, Config::Model, python-debian, license-reconcile), but others don't (adequate, umegaya).

So, what we're going to do about it? I see the following options:

A) Make Lintian complain about the HTTPS URL; fix HTTPS-advertising and HTTPS-producing tools, and >400 copyright files.

B) Fix the spec to allow the HTTPS URL; fix the HTTP-only consumers.

C) Admit that file formats are too hard and go shopping.

--
Jakub Wilk