Re: Removing sysV init files

Michael Biebl:

I wonder if nosh could be an option for non-linux. According to its website it supports native systemd service files. I have to admit though, I never looked at nosh myself, so I have no idea how far that "systemd support" goes.

This caught my eye, so I thought that I'd demonstrate.  Before getting to what I did, let's clear up some tangential points.

Alec Leamas:

The systemd setup [for lirc] is three different services, the sysV [setup] one. There is no systemd service directly corresponding to the sysV one.

The Debian revision log says that that's not in fact true.

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-lirc?view=revision&revision=521

There have been three System 5 rc scripts since May 2014; precisely so that there is a correspondence between service names, according to the commentary.

From a Debian point of view, I suspect that the answer that you'll get from all of the Debian people who actually look into the situation is that if Debian Maintainer Stefan Lippers-Hollmann is willing to continue doing this work to maintain System 5 rc scripts for your software, you should let xem.  (-:

I suggest that you should probably pay more attention to the System 5 rc scripts, because your systemd units aren't up to scratch and don't do as good a job.  I discovered this by running your lircd.socket and lircd.service unit files through the nosh conversion process and seeing what resulted.  Your "bad gut feeling" about your System 5 rc files is, ironically, misplaced and should be about your systemd mechanisms.

Yes the nosh package can take this sort of thing and convert it to native form.  There's a detailed worked example of doing so on the nosh WWW pages.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh/worked-example.html

For lirc it was almost as easy as:

JdeBP /tmp $ fetch 'http://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/git/ci/master/tree/systemd/lircd.socket?format=raw' -o lircd.socket
JdeBP /tmp $ fetch 'http://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/git/ci/master/tree/systemd/lircd.service?format=raw' -o lircd.service
JdeBP /tmp $ convert-systemd-units ./lircd.socket
JdeBP /tmp $ sudo system-control start /tmp/lircd

What resulted was a service that didn't start.  Hence "almost".

JdeBP /tmp $ svstat /tmp/lircd
/tmp/lircd: stopped since 2016-01-16 23:06:12 +0000; 2m 1s ago. , initially started
JdeBP /tmp $

It didn't start because the service unit was wrong.

A quick check of the log revealed that the service was trying to create a local-domain socket at /run/lirc/lircd .  But there was no /run/lirc/ directory on my system to contain that.  Your systemd units didn't make one; and one doesn't appear by telepathy.  (-:  Stefan Lippers-Hollmann's System 5 rc scripts do make this directory, however.  They have this near the start:

[ -d "/run/lirc" ] || mkdir -p "/run/lirc"

The systemd service unit file way of doing the same thing is:

[Service]
RuntimeDirectory=lirc

So I edited that into your lircd.service and had another go.  This time I was hit by a problem with "quirks mode" conversion (which I don't use all that often).  Since your lircd program doesn't actually rely upon any systemd quirks as far as I can see, I simply switched to "ideal mode" conversion and converted a third time:

JdeBP /tmp $ convert-systemd-units --no-systemd-quirks ./lircd.socket
JdeBP /tmp $ sudo system-control start /tmp/lircd

Now I was hit by the fact that you'd hardwired the pathname /usr/sbin/lircd into your service unit.  This isn't wrong from a Linux systemd operating system perspective.  But I'm doing this on FreeBSD (PC-BSD 10.2, in fact) to demonstrate that the nosh toolset very much does provide the tools for non-Linux operating systems.  The FreeBSD-supplied lircd installs into /usr/local/sbin not /usr/sbin, because that's the rule for non-operating-system stuff.  Fortunately, there are at least two ways around this.  I took the one that uses $PATH.  The conversion tool can be told ExecStart=lircd and that will make a service bundle that will just work for either /usr/sbin/lircd or /usr/local/sbin/lircd .  So I edited that into your lircd.service and had another go.

JdeBP /tmp $ convert-systemd-units --no-systemd-quirks ./lircd.socket
JdeBP /tmp $ sudo system-control start /tmp/lircd

And it's up and running, converted from your socket and service units into native service bundles, on nosh-managed PC-BSD 10.2.

JdeBP /tmp $ svstat /tmp/lircd
/tmp/lircd: running (pid 50174) since 2016-01-16 23:39:56 +0000; 6s ago.
JdeBP /tmp $

There are several things that you probably should take note of here.

The converted service bundle uses UCSPI-TCP tools from the toolset to set up the listening socket for lircd to inherit.  Unfortunately, even though this is lirc version 0.9.0, built straight from the FreeBSD port today, it doesn't have the code that takes the socket as an already open file descriptor at program startup.  So process 50174 actually has two open file descriptors for the /run/lirc/lircd socket, one that was set up for it with UCSPI-TCP and one that it opened itself because the FreeBSD port doesn't actually contain any HAVE_SYSTEMD code.

Your HAVE_SYSTEMD approach isn't ideal, from your perspective of having lircd work on other operating systems like it does with systemd, anyway.  This is because it doesn't cope with non-Linux operating systems where you might still get the listening socket passed in, already open.  This is in turn because you are using the systemd developers' library.  Their library doesn't do anything on non-Linux operating systems.  I recommend instead looking to one of the many alternatives now available and floating around on the likes of GitHub.  The alternatives don't conditionally compile out everything on non-Linux targets.

Both the System 5 rc scripts and the port-supplied NetBSD rc script (in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lircd) are parameterized.  Your systemd unit files are not.  In particular, note that the NetBSD rc script has this:

command_args="-d ${lircd_device} ${lircd_config}"

This means that FreeBSD/PC-BSD users can use their conventional /etc/rc.conf.local system to configure how the lircd daemon is invoked, by setting lircd_device and lircd_config variables.  (See the rc.conf(5) manual page for details of this system.)  There's even a handy rcctl tool in OpenBSD designed for working with these settings.  This mechanism can be made to work with the nosh toolset.  I adjusted your lircd.service yet again to now read:

EnvironmentDirectory=env
ExecStart=lircd --nodaemon ${device:+-d "${device}"} ${config}

(To make this unit work with systemd too, note that you would have to explicitly state the invocation of the shell.)

Running that through the conversion tool yielded a slightly more complex service bundle:

JdeBP /tmp $ convert-systemd-units --no-systemd-quirks ./lircd.socket
JdeBP /tmp $ mkdir /tmp/lircd/service/env
JdeBP /tmp $ cat /tmp/lircd/service/service
#!/bin/nosh
#Service file generated from ./lircd.service
#LIRC Infrared Signal Decoder
sh -c "exec lircd --nodaemon ${device:+-d \"${device}\"} ${config}"
JdeBP /tmp $

This can be manipulated with the rcctl shim provided in the nosh toolset:

JdeBP /tmp $ rcctl get /tmp/lircd
JdeBP /tmp $ rcctl set /tmp/lircd device "/run/lirc/lirc0"
JdeBP /tmp $ rcctl get /tmp/lircd
device=/run/lirc/lirc0
JdeBP /tmp $ sudo rcctl stop /tmp/lircd
JdeBP /tmp $ sudo rcctl start /tmp/lircd
JdeBP /tmp $ ps -o command -p 50260
COMMAND
lircd --nodaemon -d /run/lirc/lirc0
JdeBP /tmp $
It's not necessary to use a full pathname such as /tmp/lircd .  That's only because I chose to operate in /tmp which isn't a place that is searched for service bundles.  I could have chosen instead to work in /var/local/sv/, in which case all of the commands above that have /tmp/lircd would have just read unadorned lircd.  As a bonus, this would have also enabled the system configuration autoconversion feature of the nosh toolset, which would have taken any lircd_device setting from /etc/rc.conf{,.local} and applied it to the lircd service as its device setting without my having to run rcctl manually.

All of this (apart from using the Debian equivalent of FreeBSD's fetch command) is pretty much exactly the same on Debian, when nosh-managed.  I went through much the same steps.