Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Fri, 08 Jan 2016 09:14:45 -0800, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>
wrote:
>On Jan 08 2016, Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that with Debian heading down this road, the Debian GNU/Linux
>> distribution will not exist in 5 years from now.
>
>Debian is developed by its developers, not by its users. Do you have any
>evidence (other than your opinion) that loss of users would cause loss
>of development work?

Quite some developers are getting paid to be Debian users or by Debian
users. We participate in Debian because it makes using Debian easier
for the people who pay us.

If these users stop being Debian users, they have no reason to pay
developers to make Debian better. This causes significant loss of
development work.

Not all Debian contributors are contributing because they're students
that need to get rid of free time. And, in fact, contributing to
Debian has significantly lost being fun over the last five years.

Alas, maybe I'm just too old.

Greetings
Marc