Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:50:56AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> The loss of keyscript just broke my clients. I am really afraid of the
> first system update breaking my _servers_, causing a resinstall to be
> necessary. I know of one customer who already said that if a reinstall
> will become necessary, the reinstalled distribution will be called Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux. I'd like to postpone this as long as possible.

If bug-free upgrades are valueble for you and your clients, it doesn't
seem wise to bet on luck that nothing will break. Debian has had
quite good record on successful in-place upgrades, but it mostly depends
on volunteers doing manual dist-upgrade tests during freeze. Which is often
too late and too little.

Settings up automated upgrade tests at jenkins.debian.net for both generic
installs and installs similar your setup would let you identify and fix
issues before they become problems in your production.

Riku