Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 01/06/2016 12:54 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 08:10:00PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
>> On 05.01.2016 19:37, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>>
>>> There is a significant difference between concepts like:
>>> - something works for me
>>> - something works
>>
>>> and:
>>> - I want something to be supported
>>> - the people actually working on something want to support it
>>
>> What is the recourse for people who are not maintainers of the packages
>> in question?
>
> Not much.  For example, policykit-1 FTBFSes on non-systemd architectures
> (#798769) despite a patch being provided and multiple maintainer uploads
> since then.
>
> So even doing the work won't do any good if your aims are for whatever
> reason disliked by the maintainer.

It's sad to see that you don't assume good faith here. If you take a
look at the list of bugs in the package,
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=policykit-1
you will see that there are quite a few other bugs open in the package,
some also with severity important - and just from reading the subjects
in that list it seems that a few of them also appear to have a large
impact on some users. And if I look at the changelog,
https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/p/policykit-1/changelog-0.105-14
both uploads were not new upstream versions, but very selected
bugfixes, where all the other still open bugs were also left unfixed.

To me, this appears to be much more of a case of not enough time on
the side of the maintainers rather than malice. I get it, it's very
frustrating when a problem that affects you isn't fixed in a package, I
myself have been on that very same end of that equation myself in
different instances.

But it's not like there isn't a recourse for this in Debian - if a
maintainer just doesn't have enough time for your specific problem at
that very moment, just announce that you're going to NMU the package
in the BTS with the corresponding nmudiff, wait a bit and if there
still isn't any reaction, upload the NMU to DELAYED/10. See
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#nmu
for further details. (NMUs can also be sponsored.) Doing that would
actually fix your problem - and it'd be far lest frustrating for
everybody than the insinuations you just made. Just saying...

Regards,
Christian