Re: HEADSUP: mails sent to nnn@bugs.debian.org are NOT sent to the submitter

Hi,

Quoting Adam Borowski (2016-12-27 17:56:59)
> Current procedure of subscribing to a bug is an abomination: you need FOUR
> mails for something that could be done by default.

I feel you. This is why I long stopped subscribing to bugs I file. The
ping-pong is too bothersome for me. Now I just keep the bugs I find interesting
open in tabs in my browser and from time to time I check if I missed something.
Much less hassle, really...

As a submitter, having a "Subscribe: yes" pseudo header would reduce the pain
but I still wonder whether I'd really use it because I'd still have to
acknowledge the subscription.

Personally, I want to subscribed to all bugs I file *and* to all bugs I
contributed to. For me it would be great to have a feature that allows me to
tell the bts to:

 - please subscribe me to all bugs I file and
 - please subscribe me to all bugs I write an email to

These should probably be two distinct settings. I don't know though how hard it
would be to implement that. I guess it could be a problem for me if people
started sending email to the bts with my email address and then I'd receive
spam. But is this really happening that often? For the convenience I think I'd
rather have potential spam (and then manually unsubscribe) rather than having
to subscribe manually. I for example really like how services like github have
this behaviour as their default but I can see how this might not be a good
default for Debian. Either way, it would be great to have a way to change that
default per email.

Another idea: Maybe there could be a special feature for DDs and DMs which
allows them to subscribe to bugs without the additional subscription
verification email (which I would probably still get if above feature is
implemented) by the bts verifying the GPG signature of their emails? With this
we could allow:

 1. Using "bts subscribe" without having to wait for the verification email and
    then having to acknowledge that request
 2. A Subscribe:yes pseudo header when submitting a bug which automatically
    subscribes me without needing to acknowledge that request
 3. or an "autosubscribe to all submitted bugs" or "autosubscribe to all bugs
    one contributed to" feature which prevents spam by only subscribing me to
    bugs that I write signed emails to

I think this feature would be useful on its own (because it would make "bts
subscribe" more simple) independent of my autosubscription wishlist feature.

Unfortunately all the above would still not solve the problem of the maintainer
who wants to communicate with the submitter. But as a maintainer I find that
problem really minor in comparison with the current pain I have to go through
to subscribe to bugs I find interesting.

Thanks!

cheers, josch