Re: HEADSUP: mails sent to nnn@bugs.debian.org are NOT sent to the submitter

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>  * I was overly concerned that submitters ought not to be troubled by
>    Debian-internal communications about their bug.

I think part of the confusion and dissent here is that there are two
intersecting-but-non-equal mental models of who the submitters are that
lead to two different solutions.

One model is that the submitters are purely "users" --- people who may
not have an interest in the inner workings of a technical issue but
simply want it fixed.  These people are best served by the current
behavior of debbugs: they get mail specifically directed to them, and
they get mail when the problem is fixed.  If they want to check up on
the progress, they are able to check the web-UI, or intentionally opt-in
to the (potentially) higher-volume of email by subscribing.

The second model is that submitters are "contributors" --- that bug
filing is, itself, part of the development cycle.  These people are more
likely to want to be involved in the process itself, and may actively be
working towards solutions.

Both of these models are, to some degree, strawmen; I frequently file
bugs which are simply FYIs to the maintainer of some problem I ran into
and was able to work around somehow, but I equally often are filing bugs
I care deeply about and want to help shepherd towards resolution.

Perhaps there's some happy medium here?  An easier way to opt-in to
subscription to a bug at submission time?  Automatic subscription to a
bug of those who mail <bugnumber>@b.d.o, rather than <bugnumber>-quiet@
or submit@?

Sincerely,
--