Re: MIA maintainers and RC-buggy packages

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 06:58:55PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > * So: is it a real problem that there are packages that should be marked
> > as orphaned but they aren't? Should we spend any effort on marking more
> > orphaned packages? If yes, how should we do that?
>
> No, I think this is a waste of time.  It it easy to see (eg from the
> BTS and tracker) that a package is effectively orphaned.
Even if we don't apply the letter of our rules about NMUs and hijacking to
effectively orphaned packages, there are wnpp-alert and how-can-i-help
that directly use our official wnpp marks to show the packages in need of
help. There is also a filter on the UDD bug list and maybe other places.
There can be (or there are?) some metrics about the archive state.

> Frankly, I would have been tempted to let a lot of those packages slip
> out of stretch.  It depends what they were, of course.
I was following an advice received on IRC: if a package has a popcon of
even 20 then most likely there are 20 people who will benefit from the
fix.

> In the absence of bugs that "ought to have been dealt with" (which
> would include RC bugs and bugs containing good patches, but not
> necessarily any other kind of bug) I don't think lack of uploads
> necessarily proves very much.
>
> Likewise "only NMU uploads" doesn't necessarily prove very much.
> Maybe the nominal maintainer is actively reviewing the NMUs even, but
> sees no need to intervene.
That sounds correct.

--
WBR, wRAR