Re: Bits from the Stable Release Managers

On 2016-11-28 23:43, Santiago Vila wrote:
On 2016-11-28 14:38, Holger Levsen wrote:
> thanks for this update!
>
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 08:42:26PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> >    * The update must be built in an (old)stable environment or chroot
>
> afaik source only uploads work as well, dont they? (and technically the
> above obviously includes this, but I think it would be nice to
> explicitly mention source uploads work too.)

Packages are only built when accepted from p-u-NEW. We require binary
uploads to be able to review the binary debdiffs (see e.g. the binary
debdiff links on [1]).

Hmm. But is that not a step backwards?

Should we all now stop making source-only uploads for stable,
like this one, because now it will not work anymore?:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/b/base-files/news/20160911T221708Z.html

In practice, nothing has changed.

Being able to detect as many issues as possible before accepting the package is beneficial, as it avoids exposing users of proposed-updates to broken packages and means there can be a little more confidence in the package at the point it enters p-u. We'll still catch more issues that we previously would only have noticed during the point release itself - or in some cases afterwards, when they impact more users - which is the key point.

Regards,

Adam