Re: client-side signature checking of Debian archives (Re: When should we https our mirrors?)

On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 12:03:03AM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2016-11-05 22:23, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The solution you are trying to sell is apt-transport-https as default.
> [...]
> > Your solution would be a lot of work with relatively little improvement.
>
> Well, the client-side exists and works.

Yes and no.

It works, but there is much work left if you want to make that the
default.

David already mentioned in this discussion where apt-transport-https
needs improvements.

I did already mention that the current footprint of adding
apt-transport-https to the installer and small base filesystems
is currently pretty large.
As an example, the installer would require two different TLS libraries
if you just add apt-transport-https.

I would guess there are also other areas that have to be looked at
if that should become the default, like how certificate errors will
be handled in the installer.

> > BTW: The "possible low-effort improvement without tradeoff" is:
> >
> > Is apt-transport-tor working reliably enough for general usage?
> > Are security updates available immediately through apt-transport-tor?
> > Is there a good reason why apt-transport-tor is not mentioned
> > at the frontpage of http://www.debian.org/security/ ?
> >
> > My current impression (that might be wrong) is that the technical side
> > would be available, only documentation and perhaps PR (e.g. email to
> > debian-security-announce) are missing.
>
> If we are limiting ourselves to mirrors run by DSA (which is what happens
> for the backends of the onion balancer), we could have the same with an
> HTTPS-based solution just fine. It'd likely raise the same scalability and
> operational questions as HTTPS. Your proposal here simply has different
> tradeoffs, not none as you claim.

Russ and me were discussing one specific tradeoff.

Let me repeat the relevant problem:
  By discouraging users from using mirrors for security.debian.org,
  Debian is presenting a nearly complete list of all computers in
  the world running Debian stable and their security update status
  and policies on a silver plate to the NSA.

Russ answered:
  It's a tradeoff with freshness of security updates.

With HTTP this tradeoff between "not giving information about Debian
users on a silver plate to the NSA" and "providing security updates
as soon as possible" exists.

This tradeoff still exists with HTTPS.

Tor offers a solution for this specific problem that does not have
this specific tradeoff.

> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern

cu