Re: More 5 november in the release schedule

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> Right. We want auto-removals to be useful for the release process, so that we
> don't end up with a thousand of RC bugs in testing when we freeze, most of them
> on packages that nobody cares about, not even their maintainers.
>
> However, we don't want auto-removals to drop your package behind your back. If
> that happens, that's a bad thing and you should let us know so we can fix
> things. auto-removals should notify the maintainer in advance, and only act
> after a reasonable period of time.
>
> The "packages can't re-enter testing during the freeze" is an incentive so that
> maintainers don't wait to fix a package after a few months, and so that we don't
> have to go and remove them manually. This way you know that something is going
> to happen if you don't act, yet you should have a reasonable amount of time to
> do something. Hopefully this helps have a short(er) freeze, which is good for
> everyone.

FYI, it looks like at least buildd stuff (IIRC that uses dose3),
rt.d.o, snapshot.d.o and the Debian VoIP services will need to remain
on jessie until the affected packages reach stretch-backports as a
result of the autoremovals stuff:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-services-admin/2016/10/msg00002.html

I guess alioth will remain on wheezy too.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise