Re: More 5 november in the release schedule

On 08/11/16 20:47, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 02:31:04AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is if the maintainer is not responding to RC bug reports,
>>> and you don't realize a package you depend on has RC bugs. This happened
>>> several times to me during the last freeze.
>>
>> I seem to get email when a package I maintain is marked for autoremoval
>> (regardless of whether it is an issue with my package or an rdepend).  That
>> and it showing up on your DDPO Packages overview ought to be enough to be
>> forewarned, I would have thought.
>
> For dependencies that is correct.
>
> But there is currently no kind of notification in place if a
> build-dependency of your package is scheduled for autoremoval.
>
> When a build dependency of your package is actually removed from
> testing, you are also not getting any notification.

That's not true for auto-removals. auto-removals alert (and when the time comes,
remove) build-rdeps, just like they alert rdeps.

It is true for other removals from testing, which can happen in two different ways:

- The package was removed from unstable
- The package was hinted for testing removal by the release team

Since britney doesn't enforce (atm) that build-dependencies are satisfiable in
testing, those two cases can cause this problem. However in the former case,
rdeps should get a FTBFS bug so you will know about the problem, and the latter
is not very frequent.

It would still be nice to have testing enforce packages stay buildable in
testing, as long as that doesn't become a big problem for transitions etc. But
for now, it doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

Cheers,
Emilio