Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

Hi,

On Thu Nov 03, 2016 at 18:47:28 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm in Seattle for the Debian Cloud sprint and it's going really
> well. I'll post a report in a few days summarising what we've
> done. But, in the meantime, there's something that has come up which I
> think merits wider discussion.
>
> One of the topics that we've been talking about yesterday is automatic
> software upgrades of cloud images. Some of the cloud platform
> providers really want this so that unsophisticated / inexperienced
> users of Debian images on their platforms will be secure by
> default. But there are potential issues here:
>
>  * if users are providing a service like a database from a cloud
>    instance, there may be unexpected (potentially lengthy) downtime if
>    upgrades happen. Of course, this can be mitigated by disabling the
>    upgrade job on those machines if desired but that needs people to
>    know to do this. Experienced users will probably be dealing with
>    upgrades already, so this should not be an issue.
>
>  * it will be a different experience compared to what people will get
>    when installing Debian normally, using d-i / debootstrap. Most
>    (all?) of our desktop environments already have some automatic
>    notification of available updates, but (a) not everybody uses them;
>    and (b) that's not so useful on a remote server installation where
>    there's no desktop for the system to show a pop-up or similar.
>
> To solve the issue and provide security updates by default, I'm
> proposing that we should switch to installing unattended-upgrades by
> default (and enabling it too) *unless* something else in the
> installation is already expected to deal with security updates.
>
> Thoughts?

+1!

One side mark: once we start that, we might expose users to the public
that they run this, as then a lot of users will send a similar sized
packets to the internet! But i see no real security concern with that.

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster