Re: Lots and lots of tiny node.js packages

On 11/03/2016 10:48 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The gory details are described in
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bzed/pkg-nagios-plugins-contrib/master/debian/README.source
>> in case you're interested.
>
> Ah, interesting.  That's the first success story I've heard.  Have you had
> any trouble with confused users who can't figure out if they have the
> right version of some upstream plugin?  (I suppose that's a bit less of a
> problem for this since no one cares about Build-Depends, etc., for
> plugins, and mostly people just run whatever we package and don't worry
> about it.)

The biggest "problems" we had were
- users who reported bugs against plugins in the packaging issue tracker
on github instead of the upstream bugtracker
- users sending pull requests with changes that modify the plugin code
directly, we prefer to keep all patches in debian/patches/$plugin
- bug reports of fedora people complaining that plugins written for
Debian don't work on their box :D
- plugins changing the way they handle options from one version to the
other. While this is not such a big issue from one debian release to the
next one, as people normally expect some breakages, it might be annoying
for backports users.

so far nobody complained/discussed plugin versions - but most of them
are moving slowly, also we (at least try to) provide always updated
backports.