Re: Lots and lots of tiny node.js packages

On 11/03/2016 09:37 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 11/02/2016 11:59 AM, Scott Leggett wrote:
>> Actually, node is in a league of its own in this regard:
>>
>> http://www.modulecounts.com/
>
> 492 new modules per day? are we sure we even want to start to package
> something like that!???

I don't think anybody here suggested packaging the entirety of the
node.js ecosystem - same as with other packaging ecosystems as well.
There are more CPAN packages than Debian source packages.

Currently there are ~3500 source packages in the archive that end in
-perl, while there are ~550 packages in the archive that
Build-Depend on anything with 'node' in it. Those numbers are only
an estimate, but do show that we are by far not in a place where
this has gone overboard.

While I do have a lot of misgivings about how the entire ecosystem
works upstream (same as with many other people in this thread),
there are very legitimate reasons to want JavaScript software in
Debian. And as long as the number of node packages in Debian doesn't
surpass those of other languages, even if many packages are
ridiculously small, I think the concern about 'number of packages'
just isn't backed by evidence.

Regards,
Christian