Re: unattended-upgrades by default?

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 06:47:28PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> One of the topics that we've been talking about yesterday is automatic
> software upgrades of cloud images. Some of the cloud platform
> providers really want this so that unsophisticated / inexperienced
> users of Debian images on their platforms will be secure by
> default. But there are potential issues here:

I am in favour of enabling automatic updates, particularly security
updates, on clould images by default. In fact, I wouldn't mind having
them on all types of installation by default. In my opinion, the
ecosystem-wide security benefits of having Debian systems keep up to
date with security updates by default overweigh any inconvenience of
having to tweak system configuration on hosts where the automatic
updates are problematic.

If we do this, we should prominently note it in release notes and have
a (wiki) page that explains how to turn off the automatic updates.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh