Re: Lots and lots of tiny node.js packages

On 2016, നവംബർ 2 4:34:27 AM IST, md@Linux.IT wrote:
>On Nov 01, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can you explain why you don't aggregate these into bigger packages,
>> for use in Debian ?
>Because the node.js ecosystem is toxic and broken in encouraging
>relasing software which embeds very specific versions of lots of tiny
>libraries, and because Debian is ideologically against duplicating code
>
>in different packages and build systems downloading code ad built time.

In addition, that is more work (combined upstream maintenance, maintain patches for depended modules) combining these modules. I don't see the benefits outweigh the efforts. But if someone volunteers to do that work, that is welcome. Basically, the person doing the work has to become an upstream for the combined package. Currently, the number is high, but process is mostly automated and less error prone, this suggestion will make it manual, needing javascript knowledge, more error prone and no upstream support.