Re: Rebuilds with unexpected timestamps

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 12:05:38PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> How exciting.  So the official tarball of GNU hello is not the
> preferred form for modification!

ironically I could say "welcome to 2016"… ;)

> Personally I think a Linux kernel tarball, without accompanying git
> history, is a GPL violation.  But I don't expect to convince anyone...

at least you got your expectations right ;)

to finally reply seriously: I think the sources themselves are still the
preferred form of modification, the git history is "just" another tool
to help one better understand the source, but it's absolutly not needed
to modify the source. This is comparable with eg. some configuration
files for an editor, which helps one to edit the source more easily, but
which in no way are needed to provide patches in the prefered form of
modifications.

And even if the prefered form for supplying a modification is a git
patch, thats easy to do with tarballs and git init…

--
cheers,
	Holger