Re: "PIE by default" transition is underway -- wiki needs updating

Hi,

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 05:26:24AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>
>> My point was that, yes we have changed to generating relocatable code
>> but that is still targetted for executables only, which preserves the
>> current behavior, [...]
>
> But something must have changed with how a static lib is now compiled,
> because (a) I see bug reports saying "foo broke because static libbar
> is not -fPIC" and (b) the recommended fix is to rebuild libbar with
> the new toolchain -- with no source changes.
>
> So what's going on with static libs?

As a preparation for the transition I suggested using PIC for static
libraries for some packages and also suggested changing the Policy
to be more liberal about that.  (#837478)
I followed the current Policy and opened discussion on debian-devel
before enabling PIC in the affected packages:

I have updated some of the affected packages according the current
Policy.

A few weeks later Adrian shared his concerns with this approach
and preferred simple binNMU-s for affected static librarie because
it also fixes the build issues. The reasoning can be read in the same
bug.

Some binNMU-s already took place.
Adrian also filed bugs for reverting the changes enabling PIC for
static libraries.

This is where we are now. I guess the rest of the binNMUs will take
place soonish. The Policy may or may not be changed depending on
new inputs in #837478.

Cheers,
Balint