Re: Planned NMU of w3-recs would use much archive disk space

This reply responds to the messages of Marco d'Itri
and Paul Wise.  Summary:  the package w3-recs provides
the standards by which web pages are developed; its
compressed source would be about 200 MiB in size.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:50:28AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> What is the purpose of this package?

HTML, CSS, DOM, SVG, etc., are the standards according to which
web pages are developed (which you probably already knew, but I
explain it for the benefit of other readers).  Without content
developed according to these standards, Iceweasel/Firefox and
others would not be very useful.  This package provides the
standards for offline use.

If you were a web developer (I am not, except
incidentally) and online access to the standards is not
always convenient, then this package might interest you.
The package is thus similar in purpose to Iustin Pop's
package doc-rfc.

For information, the package has been in the archive
since 2002.  Its past (not present) maintainers
include Francesco Paolo Lovergine, Robert Luberda
and Stefano Zacchiroli.  Those maintainers have actually
put quite a bit of work into the package (thanks), so it's
in pretty good shape, only it badly wants a data update
from upstream.  It may want a few other things, too.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:00:57AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I think you mean 200 MiB?

That's right.  Thanks.

> I'd suggest a package 'salvage', add yourself to
> the Uploaders. If the maintainer never surfaces, you can
> then remove them from Maintainer.

Okay.  If the present NMU works out all right and the
current maintainer does not resurface, then I'll consider it.
This and your other advice sound like good ideas.