Re: Planned NMU of w3-recs would use much archive disk space

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 27, "Thaddeus H. Black" <thb@debian.org> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, without an NMU, this package would not be very
> > useful to stretch users.
> >
> > I'd do what I could to trim the size, but this NMU will be big
> > no matter what I do.
> >
> > Advice?  Objections?
> What is the purpose of this package?

Offline/local reference with all W3C standards in the "Recommended"
status.  Basically, the same locus as the packages with the IETF
standards and RFCs.

It is also (IMHO) far more useful than some of the monster packages we
already have in the archive, so I'd say go ahead even if it is 200GiB.
So I vote for "do it".

That said, Thaddeus, if you do go ahead with the upload please check if
you can minimize that size somehow, even just a 10% drop in size would
already be worth the work it took for something big like this.

For example, suppose it ships the recommendations in several rendered
formats (PDF, PS, HTML/XHTML) and master hypertext (XML DOCBOOK,
whatever).  It would be quite acceptable to drop everything but the
xhtml/html+css+images versions from the binary packages: people won't
install these to print, they will install them to read while working on
something (code, documents, etc) or researching, and browser-friendly
hypertext is MUCH better for search, cut-and-paste, reading, and
alternative renderings (voiced, etc) than PDF/PS/etc.

--
  Henrique Holschuh