Re: Debian and the node-js eco system

On 2016-10-17 21:25, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Thing I would like to see, is that all those "node js package" get
> their own component. ( 'main', 'contrib' and 'non-free' are components )

I personally dislike the Node.js nano-packaging approach, but
there is no fundamental reason why this dislike of ours should
prevent node packages from entering main.

The Node.js packages are free software and they are -
unfortunately - widely used by more and more projects, esp.
Grunt, a poor excuse for not using a Makefile.

IIRC, the new version of buildbot is partly written with
Node.js, Pump.io (the software running identi.ca) is written in
it, Grunt is needed by *many* packages to build nowadays.

This is not about packaging the complete Node.js eco system,
but packages, that are needed to package build tools such as
Grunt and applications we want to have in Debian.